Achieving Safe and Reliable Healthcare:
Strategies and Solutions
Michael D.Leonard, MD
Allan Frankel, MD
Terri Simmonds, RN, CPHQ
with Kathleen Vega
Co Publisher: IHI and AONE
ISBN 13: 978-1-56793-227-0
Softbound, 205 pp, 2004
Imprint: ACHE Management Series Book
Order code: 2018
Every healthcare organization must address the issue of medical error or face the negative response of the public, the media, and regulatory bodies. This practical resource will provide you with a comprehensive blueprint for building and supporting a culture of patient safety. It includes contributions from experts in leading organizations including the renowned Institute for Healthcare Improvement.
With the strategies and tools in this book you can:
- Assess the safety climate of your organization with a tool used at more than 300 hospitals
- Optimize teamwork and communication among staff members
- Build safeguards into your clinical care systems
- Develop policies that hold staff accountable for their own performance but not for system flaws
- Communicate openly with patients and family when an error occurs
- Create an adverse event and potential event reporting system that generates ideas for improvement
- Develop an executive WalkRounds program that involves meeting with staff and engaging in a two-way conversation about safety
- Employ tools that assist organizations in identifying potential trouble spots and in leveraging actions to prevent harm
Training program also available!
This training programs bring to life concepts and tools discussed in the book. For detailed information about this training program, visit www.errormedicine.com.