The Board of Governors exam covers 10 knowledge areas, is not based on the memorization of specific facts, and is not linked to specific books or reference materials. Candidates are responsible for demonstrating proficiency in the knowledge areas identified as pivotal for the practice of healthcare management. (Click here for a description of the knowledge areas.) Study aids can help candidates gain an understanding of the topics covered on the exam. However, candidates are responsible for keeping up to date on any relevant changes or significant developments in the healthcare management field. Candidates should prepare for the exam using reference materials that they deem appropriate and necessary. Following is a list of books that focus on various knowledge areas; however, the list is not exhaustive. For your convenience, links to descriptions of books published by ACHE's Health Administration Press are provided.
- Board Works: Governing Health Care Organizations, by Dennis D. Pointer and James E. Orlikoff
- Practical Governance, by J. Larry Tyler, FACHE, FAAHC, and Errol L. Biggs, Ph.D., FACHE
- The Trustee Handbook for Health Care Governance, by James E. Orlikoff and Mary K. Totten
See also individual chapters in the following books:
- Chapter 19, Haimann's Healthcare Management, Eighth Edition, edited by Rose T. Dunn, FACHE
- Chapter 11, Managing Health Services Organizations and Systems, by Beaufort B. Longest, Jr.; Jonathon S. Rakich; and Kurt J. Darr, J.D., Sc.D., FACHE
- Chapter 16, The Well-Managed Healthcare Organization, Sixth Edition, by John R.Griffith, FACHE, and Kenneth R. White, Ph.D., FACHE
- Essentials of Health Care Finance, Fifth Edition, by William O. Cleverley and Andrew E. Cameron
- The Financial Management of Hospitals and Healthcare Organization, Fourth Edition, by Michael Nowicki, Ed.D., FACHE
- Healthcare Finance: An Introduction to Accounting and Financial Management, Fourth Edition, by Louis C. Gapenski, Ph.D.
- Understanding Healthcare Financial Management, Fifth Edition, by Louis C. Gapenski, Ph.D.
Technology and Information Management
and Performance Improvement
Quality Management in Healthcare: A Systems Approach, Second Edition, by
Diane L. Kelly, Dr.P.H.
Quality Improvement in Health Care, by Curtis P. McLaughlin and
Arnold D. Kaluzny
the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century, Committee
on Quality of Health Care in America, Institute of Medicine
Reduction in Health Care, by Patrice L. Spath
Err Is Human: Building a Safer Health System, edited by Linda T.
Kohn, Janet M. Corrigan, and Molla S. Donaldson; Committee on Quality
of Health Care in America, Institute of Medicine
Issues in Healthcare Law and Ethics, Third Edition, by Dean
M. Harris, J.D.
in Health Services Management,
by Kurt J. Darr, J.D., Sc.D., FACHE
Care Ethics, by John F. Monagle and David C. Thomasma
Ethics in Health Care, by Philip J. Boyle, Edwin R. DuBose, Stephen
J. Ellingson, David E. Guinn, and David B. McCurdy
Tracks We Leave: Ethics in Healthcare Management, by Frankie
Perry, R.N., FACHE (R)
Healthcare Management, Eighth Edition, by Rose
T. Dunn, FACHE
Strategic Planning, Second Edition,
by Alan M. Zuckerman, FACHE, FAAHC
Services Management: Readings and Commentary, Eighth Edition,
by Anthony R. Kovner, Ph.D., and Duncan Neuhauser, Ph.D.
Leader's Change Handbook, by
Jay A. Conger, Gretchen M. Spreitzer, and Edward E. Lawler
III (This book contains chapters covering several knowledge
for the Future: Core Competencies in Healthcare,
by Austin Ross, LFACHE; Frederic J. Wenzel; and Joseph W.
Health Services Organizations and Systems, by Beaufort
B. Longest, Jr.; Jonathon S. Rakich; and Kurt J. Darr, J.D.,
the Negotiation Process: A Practical Guide for the Healthcare
by Christopher L. Laubach
- The Well-Managed Healthcare Organization, Sixth Edition,
by John R. Griffith, FACHE, and Kenneth R. White, Ph.D.,
assist you in preparing for the exam, ACHE offers a comprehensive
(PDF) for download. (If
you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader, click
You may also take part in the Online
Tutorial; click here for more information on this
Health Administration Press has assembled a collection of books to supplement
the Reference Manual and help you prepare for the exam. Click
here for more information or to purchase the set!