Immediate Past Chairman
The Immediate Past Chairman is a member of the governing body of ACHE and is responsible, as a board member, for the overall direction of ACHE through policy decisions. The Immediate Past Chairman presides over meetings of the Council of Regents and, in the absence of the Chairman and Chairman-Elect, presides over meetings of the Board of Governors.
The Immediate Past Chairman shall preside over the meetings of the Council of Regents and shall perform such other duties as may be prescribed from time to time by the Board of Governors. The Immediate Past Chairman presides over meetings of the Board Policy Committee and serves on the ACHE Nominating Committee.
In the absence of the Chairman and the Chairman-Elect, the Immediate Past Chairman will preside at meetings of the Board of Governors.
The Board of Governors shall have charge of the property of ACHE and shall have authority to control and manage the affairs and funds of ACHE and is the Board of Directors described in the Illinois General Not-for-Profit Corporation Act.
Recommended Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Knowledge of the programs, products and services of ACHE including recent history and developments;
- Knowledge of the local, state and regional healthcare community, as well as broad knowledge of the national healthcare system including national trends and developments in the effective management of healthcare;
- Effective public speaking skills;
- Awareness and experience with effective governance practices;
- Negotiation, influencing and policy decision/analysis skills; and personal organizational skills
The Board of Governors meets three times annually—in March at ACHE's Congress on Healthcare Leadership (two meetings), in June in a retreat format (three days), and in November (two days).
The Immediate Past Chairman is a member of the Executive Committee, which holds three in-person meetings each year (in conjunction with each Board meeting). In addition, members of the Executive Committee are required to meet via teleconference an average of five times each year and to vote on issues/matters via electronic ballot an average of 20 times annually.
The Immediate Past Chairman serves as Chairman of the Board Policy Committee, which meets at least once a year by teleconference to review ethical, public or professional policy statements slated for review or forwarded by the Ethics, Public Policy or Career Development committees.
The Immediate Past Chairman serves on the ACHE Nominating Committee which meets at least twice a year, once during the Congress on Healthcare Leadership and once on the last Thursday of October to develop a slate of nominees for consideration by the Council of Regents.
The Immediate Past Chairman is also asked to attend:
- ACHE's Congress on Healthcare Leadership, held annually. In addition to the Congress Board meetings, functions include the Regents Leadership Conference, Council of Regents Meeting (Immediate Past Chairman presiding), Annual Membership Meeting, Regents Recognition Reception and Dinner, Convocation Ceremony, Modern Healthcare Health Care Hall of Fame Dinner, Board of Governors Dinner (with corporate partners), keynote sessions, luncheons, and various receptions. The Immediate Past Chairman's Congress schedule begins with an Executive Committee meeting on the Friday prior to the start of Congress and concludes the following Wednesday evening.
- Two of the six Fall District Meetings. (District meetings are conducted in concert with the Chapter Leaders Conference at a location near Chicago).
- The annual Chapter Leaders Conference, a program to provide training and information for the leaders of ACHE's independent chapters, generally held in September or October.
- ACHE breakfasts, luncheons, and dinners held in conjunction with state healthcare association meetings and ACHE chapter meetings at the request of Regents and chapters to the extent that the Chairman's personal schedule permits. The Immediate Past Chairman will serve as speaker for the ACHE event. The healthcare association and chapter functions are placed on the Immediate Past Chairman's schedule through ACHE staff requests and as the Immediate Past Chairman's schedule permits.
Serve as an example to ACHE members by making a meaningful annual tax-deductible contribution to ACHE's Fund for Innovation in Healthcare Leadership.
As members of the ultimate fiduciary body within ACHE, members of the Board of Governors are expected to refrain from applying for grants and competitive speaking and writing opportunities from ACHE unless a prior contractual arrangement exists (e.g., a current Health Administration Press author).
Members of the Board of Governors are also expected to refrain from participating in any activity (e.g., advertorials, panelist at customized events, focus groups, etc.) that would appear as an endorsement of one or more Corporate Partners' products, programs or services, and thus an implied endorsement by ACHE.
The Immediate Past Chairman will be reimbursed for reasonable, actual expenses incurred when traveling on official ACHE business and receives an annual office allowance of $1200.
Fellow of ACHE in good standing.
One year (Note: officers of ACHE serve three successive one-year terms, first as Chairman-Elect, then Chairman, and Immediate Past Chairman.)
Last Updated July 2011