Stuart A. Wesbury, Jr. Postgraduate Fellowship
Since its founding in 1933, the American College of Healthcare Executives has worked toward its goal of improving the health status of society by advancing healthcare leadership and management excellence. Today, ACHE is the premier professional society for healthcare executives, with a continually growing membership base now numbering more than 40,000 individuals. ACHE is dedicated to helping healthcare executives realize their career potential through professional development programs and services; a prestigious credentialing program; unparalleled educational offerings; award-winning books and journals on healthcare management; groundbreaking research; and public policy initiatives.
The Stuart A. Wesbury Jr. Postgraduate Fellowship was established in 1991 to further postgraduate education in healthcare and professional society management. The fellowship was named in honor of Stuart A. Wesbury Jr., PhD, LFACHE, ACHE president from 1979 to 1991.
ACHE's fellowship program has four primary purposes:
- To provide in-depth exposure to a broad range of association management issues and one-on-one interaction with senior-level executives.
- To allow the fellow to assume responsibility for selected administrative tasks.
- To develop the fellow's decision-making and problem-solving skills as they relate to complex organizational activities.
- To provide the fellow with an opportunity to explore particular issues of importance to ACHE and its members.
The one-year fellowship program will provide an opportunity for the fellow to work in all major ACHE divisions, including Communications and Marketing, Executive Office, Finance & Administration, Health Administration Press, Management Information Systems, Member Services, Professional Development and Regional Services. The fellowship program's content will be developed around organizational needs and the fellow's special interests. Attendance at ACHE seminars and conferences and key association meetings is part of the fellowship. ACHE President and Chief Executive Officer Deborah J. Bowen, FACHE, CAE, and Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Elizabeth A. Summy, CAE, will serve as co-preceptors for the fellowship program.
You are eligible to apply for ACHE's fellowship if you meet the following criteria:
- You have earned, within one year of the beginning of the fellowship, a graduate degree in healthcare or association management from a college or university that is accredited by the regional accrediting association in the United States approved by the U.S. Department of Education or that holds membership in the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada.
- Applicant must be authorized to work for any employer in the United States through the term of the postgraduate fellowship, May 2015 through May 2016. ACHE does not sponsor visas.
How to Apply
The Stuart A. Wesbury Jr. Postgraduate Fellowship is offered annually. Applications must include:
- A short statement of interest (maximum 500 words)
- A current curriculum vitae
- Official undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- Letters of recommendation from the applicant's university program director as well as twoprofessional colleagues
Applications will be accepted beginning October 1, 2015, and must be postmarked no later than December 1, 2015. Finalists will be invited to ACHE for personal interviews.
The fellowship program will begin in May or June; however, the start date is negotiable. The fellow will receive a salary of $52,446, which includes an excellent benefits package. A relocation allowance will also be provided.
The appointment will be announced no later than February 2, 2015. All questions and applications should be directed to:
American College of Healthcare Executives
1 N. Franklin St., Ste. 1700
Chicago, IL 60606-3529