The application for 2022 is now open. Applications for 2022 will be accepted until March 31, 2022.
Download the Flier (PDF)
For racially and/or ethnically diverse, as well as LGBTQ students only.
The Foundation of the American College of Healthcare Executives established this scholarship in honor of Albert W. Dent, the first African-American Fellow of ACHE. This scholarship is offered to provide financial aid to racially/ethnically students in healthcare management graduate programs to help offset tuition costs, student loans and expenses.
Scholarship DetailsOffered annually, the Albert W. Dent Graduate Student Scholarship is designated for racially/ethnically diverse students enrolled in their final year of a healthcare management graduate program. Each scholarship is worth $5,000. Between the McGaw and Dent scholarships, ACHE awards up to 15 scholarships each year.
Eligibility RequirementsYou may apply for an Albert W. Dent Graduate Student Scholarship if you meet all of the following criteria:
- You are a racially/ethnically diverse student enrolled full-time in a healthcare management graduate program - MHA, MPH, MBA in Healthcare Administration or similar.
- You are entering your final year (fall/spring) of full-time study.
- You expect to graduate between Sept. 1, 2022 and Aug. 31, 2023.
- If you have a residency as part of your program and the upcoming fall term will be your second year of study, you may apply for a scholarship.
- If you have already completed your classroom work and are in the residency part of your program, you are not eligible to apply.
- If you currently hold a paid healthcare management position, you are not eligible to apply.
- Doctoral students are also not eligible to apply.
- You are not required to be a Student Associate of the American College of Healthcare Executives. However, during the selection process, preference is given to applicants who are Student Associates of ACHE.
- You can demonstrate financial need.
- You are a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident; or a Canadian citizen.
- You are not a previous recipient of this scholarship or the Foster G. McGaw Graduate Student Scholarship.
Please note: The Albert W. Dent Graduate Student Scholarship is only available to racially/ethnically diverse students, based on the definition of racially/ethnically diverse created by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
When to Apply
The application for the 2022 scholarship is now. Applications for 2022 will be accepted between Jan. 3 and March 31, 2022. All 2022 applicants will be notified about the status of their application by letter in June 2022.
How to Apply
- Complete the online application in its entirety.
- Be sure to include the following with your application:
- Current resume or curriculum vitae
- Official undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- Three current letters of recommendation (one must be from your graduate program director)
- Application Essay including information on your:
— Reason for pursuing a career in healthcare management / your career aspirations and goals
— History in the field
— Financial need
— Community/Civic engagement and volunteerism
ACHE is a professional society of more than 48,000 healthcare executives. Known for its prestigious credentialing and educational programs and high-caliber publications, our vision is to be the preeminent professional society for healthcare executives dedicated to improving health.