We are proactive.And dedicated to strategically positioning the organization, the profession and you to effectively navigate the rapidly changing healthcare environment, while also improving performance and care delivery.
2022 - 2024 Strategic Plan Overview
The evidence for strong, resilient leaders has never been more striking. The events of the past two years have further reinforced that ACHE has an integral role to play as the professional home for leaders committed to bringing their hearts and minds to the work of advancing health for all. While growing our leadership community, ACHE remains vigilant in cultivating leaders across all career stages, disciplines and settings.
ACHE’s strategic plan guides the organization in its work to anticipate challenges leaders face in this rapidly changing healthcare environment. Our desire is to support leaders in advancing their personal and professional growth and driving safe, equitable, effective and efficient care for all.
Strategic Plan Development Process
During 2021, the Board of Governors engaged in a process (illustrated below) to create a new strategic plan that ensures ACHE remains relevant to leaders. As is typical in a “deep dive” year, the Board sought diverse input from members, chapter leaders, Regents and other thought leaders across the country and continuum of care. When considering the feedback, the Board sought to articulate the most important ambitions and priorities to guide the organization over the next three years.
ACHE uses a systematic strategic planning that includes a four-step methodology:
The schedule for development of the 2022–2024 strategic plan is:
As the plan moves forward, the Board will also provide input and oversight on the budget, work plans and metrics that will translate the plan into action. In addition to monitoring progress on a quarterly basis, adjustments and improvements will also be made during the Board’s annual review and discussion of the plan. The goal is to optimize opportunities to ensure the ongoing relevancy of ACHE and the plan that guides it. Any adjustments or progress reports created will be posted for all members to see in the “About ACHE” strategy section at ache.org.
Mission, Vision and Values
ACHE’s mission, vision and values are the basis for the strategic plan, organizational direction and decision-making. ACHE’s fundamental purpose (mission) and the essential core values of the profession form the foundation for our strategy, while our desired long-term future (vision) is the guiding principle for the organization’s strategic direction. The following mission, vision and values of the organization were reaffirmed by the Board of Governors in 2021:
Mission: To advance our members and healthcare leadership excellence.
Vision: To be the preeminent professional society for leaders dedicated to advancing health.
Core Values: We are committed to and live out our core values through our work:
- Integrity: We advocate and demonstrate high ethical conduct in all we do.
- Lifelong Learning: We recognize lifelong learning is essential to our ability to innovate and continually improve ourselves, our organizations and our profession.
- Leadership: We lead through example and mentoring, and recognize caring must be a cornerstone of our professional interactions.
- Diversity and Inclusion: We champion diversity and foster inclusion to advance equity in the workplace and the communities we serve.
ACHE’s Strategic Plan is designed to leverage ACHE’s role in building a leadership workforce capable of addressing the challenges facing our field now and in the future. The plan builds on the hallmarks of our commitments to integrity, lifelong learning, leadership, and diversity and inclusion, and amplifies our aspirations in service to our members, our profession and our field. The Board was clear that DEI will remain a key priority. In translating these aspirations to actions, ACHE will leverage its roles as trusted partner, connector and catalyst further outlined below.
The plan will be supported through a series of actions and investments that will be managed proactively to ensure our ambitions are realized. Close attention will be paid to the pace of change, our relationship to our chapters, and how new partnerships can help extend our reach and impact.
We hope every member, leader, employer and partner will find as much excitement, inspiration and optimism as we found in creating the plan for the organization, our profession and our field.
The following are the ambitions for the organization in 2022–2024 as outlined by the Board of Governors:
- As a Catalyst, achieve our highest calling to advance health by leading through the lens of equity.
- As Connectors, grow our professional community of leaders across the healthcare continuum by leveraging our partnerships with chapters and other organizations.
- To expand our role and influence as a Trusted Partner to help leaders reach their highest potential to lead.
ACHE’s Strategic Plan, which follows, is the roadmap we will use to realize these ambitions and direct our focus during 2022–2024.
In our role as Catalyst, ACHE will commit to leading for equity and safety. In doing so ACHE will:
- Be a thought leader and champion to drive solutions that advance equity. As priorities, we will:
- Leverage organizational partnerships, including chapters, to drive DEI efforts.
- Create essential resources for leaders to advance the creation of diverse, equitable and inclusive environments.
- Grow the number of diverse member leaders.
- Champion and amplify the importance of safety, providing the tools and strategies needed to drive toward zero preventable harm.
In our role as Connector, ACHE will commit to growing our professional community across the healthcare continuum by leveraging our partnerships with chapters and other organizations. In doing so ACHE will:
- Identify new ways to enhance the ACHE-chapter partnership and better leverage the role of chapter leaders and volunteers in providing value to members.
- Strengthen our interprofessional community by making ACHE the professional home for healthcare leaders across the care continuum.
In our role as Trusted Partner, ACHE will commit to deepening engagement with members and the healthcare community through education, networking and career services to inspire and cultivate leaders to advance health. In doing so ACHE will:
- Grow the membership community to enhance opportunities for leaders to learn and grow.
- Accelerate the adoption of board certification (FACHE®) as the gold standard for leading.
- Expand partnerships with CEOs/C-suite/employers by supporting their efforts to develop a strong, resilient leadership workforce.
- Educate, engage and inspire those newer to leadership roles, including early careerists, to fulfill their highest potential in the profession throughout their careers.